Students are back on Thursday, and I want to
plan finish planning schedules, assignments and guest lecturers before then. I’m still a rather new teacher, you know, and I want to feel in control of this stuff. Mind you, at this point I still have no idea how many students I’ll have. It would be very nice to have that clear in my mind before the first class.
This semester I’m teaching HUIN105: Web design and web aesthetics. Students are supposed to learn the basics of HTML and CSS, and will construct websites in groups for 60% of their final grade. The remaining 40% of the course is about reading the web: understanding and interpreting web genres and practicing writing for the web. Like last spring, I’m using blogs extensively. Each student will have their own blog and will write throughout the semester. We’ll do lots of in class blogging and in addition to specified weekly writing tasks there’ll be three graded assignments over the course of the semester. One of these assignments will involve designing the blog and explaining the design choices, both in terms of information organisation, concept, style and visuals.
I’m finding it really hard to stop myself from putting far too much into the syllabus. I want to teach them everything – and of course, if I try to do that, I’m bound to fail. But it’s so hard to have to leave important things out!